Thursday, January 27, 2011

The Great Coupon Experiment 3

If you have never bothered to photograph your grocery shopping purchases, I highly recommend it.  Piling 2 weeks worth of groceries in one spot is actually very rewarding.  I don't know how many times I have come home from a budget-busting shopping trip, put all the groceries away, and looked around feeling like there was still no food in the house.  And now that I am really trying to stick to the budget and get as many bargains as possible, it's even more of a boost to see just how much I got for what I spent.  I am totally geeking out on this whole thing...
Anyway, I went out with $100 cash, planning to spend absolutely NO MORE than that $100. (Because, really, despite today being payday, there really was NO MORE money to be spent! We are going to rock this budget thing's socks off.)

Here's what I got:

I am not going to even try to list every single item, but some things you can't see too well.  I got a boatload of shredded cheese and snack cheese cubes (I am in love with Meijer's clearance dairy!  The clearance price plus coupons made many of the cheeses free or nearly free!), 4 4-packs of yogurt, 8 Marie Callendar's frozen dinners, 5 frozen pizzas, 2 cornish hens (I got a new cooking contraption for Christmas to cook them in).  Also, not pictured, 2 24-packs of soda.

Retail:  $171.31
Paid:  $96.06 ($80.06 at Meijer, $16 at Kroger)
Saved:  $75.25

Observations:
I need a bigger freezer.
Overall I'm pretty stoked about the amount I spent.  The real kicker is going to be whether or not this will last us 2 weeks.  At least I still have $4 in the grocery envelope in case it doesn't!  I did break my own rule (again) and went to both Kroger and Meijer today.  But Kroger had Timm's frozen dinners for $0.75 less than Meijer and that is literally all I bought there. I hated the fact that I didn't have any coupons for the dinners (I used them all last week.  I tried to print more from online, but I had already reached my limit) but at least they were on sale.  Also, I had $20.45 left on a Meijer gift card that my MIL gave me, so technically the total I spent at Meijer was $100.51.  I still have to do better next time so that I come in at $100 or less.

No comments:

Post a Comment