Monday, January 10, 2011

A Birthday Party (and the Versatility of Post-Its)





 It probably would have been smart to smell the cup before dumping the leftover milk from Asher's sippy cup (which had been sitting on the counter since.... when?) into my coffee mug.

Must remember to go to the store and buy milk before putting the children to bed.

I think it's pretty funny that I had to actually demonstrate to Asher the awesomeness and versatility of Post-It notes.  He was seriously about to lose interest in them just now, likely thinking they were really boring, tiny books.  Then I peeled one off and stuck it on his forehead.  Occupy yourself, kid- Momma feels like writing!

Yesterday Iris had her first ever birthday party with just her friends- no family.  And I just threw my first ever birthday party as a parent with no family there!  It was really weird- I had to be responsible for making sure all the necessary things took place.  Like serving the cupcakes AND getting the photo of her blowing out her birthday candle.  And I almost forgot to serve the juice boxes I had purchased specifically for the birthday party kids.  And I DID forget to serve the blue ice cream that I had purchased specifically for the birthday party kids. Then I decided to send the ice cream home with each child and forgot to do that, too.  Now I have 6 tiny containers of Blue Moo Cookie Dough in my freezer.  Iris will be overjoyed when she finds out.

But the party was perfect- everything I had hoped it would be, actually.  The kids had a blast and the only tears shed were Iris' when she bonked her funny bone trying to climb out of her toybox (yes, ever since seeing Toy Story 3, Iris likes to play inside her toybox like that little girl does in the movie.  I have to admit, she makes it look like a lot of fun and I would do the same thing if I were 3.  Or if I had an adult-sized toybox).  But there were no tantrums and all the kids (many of whom didn't know anyone but Iris) played really well together.  And while the kids played, the other moms and I sat at the table drinking coffee and catching up/getting to know each other.  Mostly we talked about our children, but who cares, it was still some much-needed adult interaction!  And I think all the grownups had a good time, too... at least, I know I did.
It was simple.  It was easy.  It was cheap.  There was no big theme or schedule or activities planned.  They just made some party hats out of paper plates, sang happy birthday, ate cupcakes, and played together.  It was fun! 



Asher is now "pretending" to eat the Post-It's.  And by "pretending", I mean he's actually eating them.  He has them in a toy pot in the pretend kitchen, and is digging them out with a play fork and chewing on them...

No comments:

Post a Comment